Thursday, February 18, 2010

IM TRYING NOT TO RELY ON THE MEDIUM ANYMORE



LYRICAL: So this one is done 100% i really like it, beneath it is a mixture of swirly colors and some stronger lines, it also has an etherial quality in the center which i love. the lines on top represent sheet music because lyrical is basically dancing to the words of a song. I like this piece and surprisingly it's the one that took least time. :)


AFRICAN! so this red one is my african piece and i like how the colors blend and how the thread comes through a little, the tree circle effect i wanted .... but this is no where near done!!!! this is like the epitome of relying on the medium!!!!!! I like the color and texture because it is warm and has a story esque feel but I always wanted to add a foot or something to this. I just ran out of time. I will definitely be adding some kind of foot element or feet to this. Not nice ballet shoes, but raw cracked feet. I may take away some of the built up wax and use that to make feet things. ya.

Ok so i had another wax thing, but I stole it back because I couldn't bear to look at it anymore. I thad a cool background but then these weird wire things that were trying to be gears, then i tried painting it FAIL. So i am not going to post my picture. i'm working on it next, basically its a cool background but more white. Then i am going to try and engrave gear images into the wax kinda like i did the top of my field for the whistling season thing , just small. then some kins of dancer image with oil staining so the imprint comes through. Hopefully i can "make it work" Tim Gunn anybody... anybody....

My other new piece is a nice colors background that reflects strength and softness then a dancer as part of it. then on top a corner of a room and yet another dancer on top of that. I like it so far.

So basically my concentration is how the dynamics of dance make each style unique and individual, such as a special feature that only that has (like the song sheet) or just the lines and how they reflects the dimensions and dynamics of the movement.

JUST FOR ME!
(twelve pieces right?)
1. Broadway : done but i can do better if there's time to spare.
2. Modern : done and like it , but i could do wax if that would make more sense.
3. Lyrical: done and i love it
4. African: not done
5. Ballet: will be done soon
6. Contemporary: will be done soon i hope
i need 6 more. lets see. those two done by wednesday maybe if i come in a lot i can do one every two weeks or one every week. I want time to fully evaluate my work as a whole and change the ones that could be better.





8 comments:

  1. Cecci- I am enjoying watching your brain working. Your growth in this process has been a joy to behold. It's entirely okay to express your ideas using the medium of encaustic but as you have mentioned exploring ALL the possibilities of the medium in order to express those ideas is critical. You are doing just that! Watch more videos online, remind me to bring in the books I have on encaustic. Just keep learning and applying that knowledge to further express your idea. Try to think about foreground, middle ground and background I think that will help with your compositions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea and how you're personifying it. I like how you use the color to create an emotional feel for the dance and the texture to make a sort of rythym to the piece. I'm interested in seeing Lyrical and what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how throughout your concentration you have gone from literal representation of dance to really abstract. (:

    in both pieces, i think the texture helps portray the idea of each dance style. your use of color is amazing, and even though the pieces are really abstract and simple at first glance, they have alot of depth and thought put into the composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty! I agree with monica and i really like how you have gone from literal to abstract. i LOVE LOVE LOVE the lyrical one. the colors are fantastic and look so nice together and i love the representation of the lyrics flowing together. its is very nice! I also love the red african one. the colors are so vibrant and it is fun and interesting to look at. i am so jealous you are working with encaustic! the texture is so fun and they are turning out very nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really great how you're able to be satisfied with a piece of just color and feel. No immediate subject that we're supposed to be looking at. It makes it very interesting for the viewer because you allow our minds to wander for themselves while giving them a good basis of mood. You have great compositions and you definitely have a strong sense of color. The way you incorporated the lines of a tree are truly innovative. I think it would be really cool to see one of these really big though, you should make one that's like 2 by 4 feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how the first one turned out, there is great movement with the swirls of blue in the wax. I have to admit, I was a little worried when I saw your first version. But I think you are deffinately in the right dirrection with the encaustic. I also like how the horizontal lines give it a sense of foreground, also giving the blue more depth. I guess I would advise you to do the same with the african one. Cause it deffinately reminds me of dancing :) I don't know what i would do if I had your concentration but you've deffinetally pulled it of, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecilia! I am such a fan of your work, I think it is beautiful. I really like your concentration, because you chose something you were passionate about, and we can all see your dedication throughout your art.

    So for the first piece, I think it is just breathtaking. I do not know much about dance, but by using the calm blue colors and the movement throughout the background I can almost imagine that it is a beautiful and graceful form of dance. I think it is great how you use sheet music without any lyrics to demonstrate your point. The abstraction of your work is just lovely. You should be very proud of this piece.

    So for the second piece, it also is beautiful! There is much more texture within this piece than the last which is more pleasing to the eye. I do not know much about African dance, but the colors are fiery and for some reason remind me of Africa, so the color choice was well done. There is a lot of movement within the background which is nice as well. There is no sense of foreground, middle ground, and background within your pieces, but I think that is okay. But if you ever get stuck you can think of that I think! But so far it seems like you are off to a great start! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both excellent examples of your talent. I'm fascinated by the idea of interpeting dance as color and motion, since it seems very similar to what I see for music.

    In the frist piece, I really enjoy the contrast between the dramatic swirling colors in the background and the simple thread lines in the foreground. Very visually-appealing to the eye. It is also a wonderful visual representation of the dance you've chosen to create.

    The second one is not as strong as the first, but I do enjoy the colors more for this one. They could probably use a bit more contrast (between light and dark especially), as this would give it a bit more depth and unity. As it is, it seems a bit "all over the place" and kind of muddy. Bringing out the lights and darks should help this.

    ReplyDelete